A Few Words About Work Ethic

Here I am, busting my buns, working all day, every day, and I see people sitting around, doing nothing, twiddling their respective thumbs, waiting for something, anything to do. Oh, wait...that's a picture of me. I'll shut up, then. ;-)
So, here's the deal - I'm moving from one undisclosed location to another undisclosed location, and so I'm just waiting for my time to move out. Days turn into weeks, and this whole time I know that whatever I accomplish will be taken over by someone else and they will get the credit. This leaves me with mixed feelings, since 1) there is no I in TEAM (although there is an M and an E, hmmm...) and 2) I've taken over from someone else and I get/have gotten credit for their work. I'm running into a “Chicken or the Egg” issue, since I was here before (03-04), and so it's become a cyclic thing (my work led to their work, which leads to my work, which leads to someone else’s work, ad nauseum.) Still, it does get frustrating working with people, trying to get them to understand that you want to support them, but will not be around long enough to help them accomplish what you want.
“I really want to help, but I'm leaving. You know Bill? He’s going to help you until he leaves, which might be next week. Maybe Ted will be back to help, I don’t know. But hey! We care!”
Anyways, while I whittle away the time I have left on this FOB (Forward Operating Base, if you didn’t know), Christmas is coming fast. I sent the wife (love you, honey!) a package with her presents. Knowing the mail system, she will not get it in time, but that would be my own fault. I really should have sent it sooner, but I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to things like that. I've gotten packages from the family, containing all my favorite things - toys, PlayDoh, video games. Maturity is overrated, that's what I always say.
Hey you! Get back to work! There will be no mirth or merriment on this FOB!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home