Huah!

Last night (Christmas Night, no less) I was presented with one of the greatest honors an old soldier like me can get.
I told you all that I was leaving this area soon, and would be moving to another area for the remainder of my tour in Iraq. Well, the unit I am working with right now is a Cavalry unit (which usually means they lots of armored assets (tanks, Strykers, etc.)) I will be returning to my Infantry brethren soon. We were given a farewell during the weekly briefing, which usually consists of “We were so glad to have you here, now leave.” In this case, however, we were given Certificates of Appreciation by the General and presented with certificates awarding membership in the “Order of the Combat Spur.”
Now for the other part of the story; why this was such an honor for me in particular. My first assignment was with a Cavalry unit, and as a Private I was not eligible to be a member of the Spur “fraternity.” Usually, you must be a Non-Commissioned Officer (a Sergeant, for example), or an Officer, to be eligible, and even then you must pass a rigorous testing to be awarded the Spurs. I was actually quite jealous (I know, I’m a dork…) and it had been one of my regrets that I did not remain with that unit long enough to become eligible for the Spur Competition.
To be giving this award, after being away from the “Cav” for many years, and having been presented with the “Order of the Combat Spur,” it almost made me tear up a little. And the fact that I was not even an "official" member of their organization (meaning I didn't have anything in writing that made said I belonged to them) makes me all the prouder, since it feels like they made me a member of the family. Again, I will miss these guys when I leave.
It’s funny, when you think about it. I have been assigned to my Division for many years, but the first time I really regret leaving a unit, it’s one that I’m temporarily attached to.
That was the best Christmas present I have ever gotten from the Army.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home