Yup. Still Bored.
Ok, so I've come to the conclusion that night shift sucks. Really sucks. Like a black hole.
So far tonight, I've burned songs to my MP3 player, read a years worth of Something Positive, and played 13 games of solitaire. Your tax dollars at work, eh?
Funny thing is, I could be doing what I was doing before. You know, what I left behind to come here, because they said "We need the personnel." Yeah right.
I've also come to the conclusion that this unit, in general, and my section, in particular, is so wracked with self-loathing that they have to go out of their way to make themselves more miserable. For example, these people have actually scheduled physical training, in a combat zone. Garrison, training to go to war, sure, OK. But when we're thousands of miles away, surrounded by people that want to take us out? We have enough reasons to be miserable, why force everyone to get up at "oh-dark-thirty" to train, then work a 10 to 12 hour shift? Good god - there are opportunities to train on your own, without having to do it with people you are forced to interact with for the entire day anyways. Ok, Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.
I was told my hours would be modified to a more conventional night shift style (as it is, I work the last part of the night to the middle of the day. argh.), and when I brought up the fact that it would be nice to be able to have some input on what those hours would be, I was shot down quicker than an insurgent with an AK. I was told "You will work the hours I give you. Deal with it." Now, if I was a new soldier with no experience and nothing to bring to the table, that would be one thing, but I've got over a decade of work experience and the abilities to do much more than I am given. Crap. Leadership is "the ability to influence others to accomplish the mission." Give me a mission, don't leave me sitting in a cubicle for 12 hours a day, without even giving me a "TPS" report to do (my apologies for referencing the movie "Office Space")
Ah, well. Back to the grind. I wonder where to put that red Jack?
So far tonight, I've burned songs to my MP3 player, read a years worth of Something Positive, and played 13 games of solitaire. Your tax dollars at work, eh?
Funny thing is, I could be doing what I was doing before. You know, what I left behind to come here, because they said "We need the personnel." Yeah right.
I've also come to the conclusion that this unit, in general, and my section, in particular, is so wracked with self-loathing that they have to go out of their way to make themselves more miserable. For example, these people have actually scheduled physical training, in a combat zone. Garrison, training to go to war, sure, OK. But when we're thousands of miles away, surrounded by people that want to take us out? We have enough reasons to be miserable, why force everyone to get up at "oh-dark-thirty" to train, then work a 10 to 12 hour shift? Good god - there are opportunities to train on your own, without having to do it with people you are forced to interact with for the entire day anyways. Ok, Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.
I was told my hours would be modified to a more conventional night shift style (as it is, I work the last part of the night to the middle of the day. argh.), and when I brought up the fact that it would be nice to be able to have some input on what those hours would be, I was shot down quicker than an insurgent with an AK. I was told "You will work the hours I give you. Deal with it." Now, if I was a new soldier with no experience and nothing to bring to the table, that would be one thing, but I've got over a decade of work experience and the abilities to do much more than I am given. Crap. Leadership is "the ability to influence others to accomplish the mission." Give me a mission, don't leave me sitting in a cubicle for 12 hours a day, without even giving me a "TPS" report to do (my apologies for referencing the movie "Office Space")
Ah, well. Back to the grind. I wonder where to put that red Jack?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home